- The Award Lifecycle
- Resources & Information
- ABOUT US
Harvard University has deployed the web-based system, ecrt, to serve as the new tool to facilitate the effort certification and reporting process. Harvard’s previous process – which consisted of paper forms – will no longer be used.
To access ecrt, click on the icon below:
The ecrt system is designed to help comply with the provisions of Harvard’s effort reporting policy, federal policy OMB Circular A-21 section J.10., NIH Salary Limitation on Grants, and other relevant agency policies that govern the need to provide certification of an individual's effort pursuant to his/her sponsored and non-sponsored programs. Please direct any questions to the ecrt help desk: email@example.com.
At Harvard, there are two types of effort certifications:
- Annual Faculty Effort Certifications (APEC): Harvard PIs/faculty and other academic appointees who have effort on federal awards certify their salary (including academic-year, supplemental and summer) on an annual basis (July 1-June 30).
- Quarterly Project Effort Certifications (QPEC): Federal projects with non-faculty salary charges are certified by the project PI on a quarterly basis. The quarterly certifications cover July-September, October-December, January-March, and April-June.
- March 11, 2014 - Annual Faculty Effort Certifications (7/1/12-6/30/13) due - FAS only
- March 11, 2014 - FY14 Q2 Quarterly Project Effort Certifications (10/1/13-12/31/13) due
- June 10, 2014 - FY14 Q3 Quarterly Project Effort Certifications (1/1/14-3/31/14) due
In general, the certification window begins within a month after its corresponding period of performance. Each time a certification window begins, there are 30 calendar days to certify the effort.
Important ecrt Dates and Lifecycle Updated 12/6/13
Policy & Procedures
- Harvard University Effort Reporting Policy
Adherence to this policy is required for all effort related to federally sponsored grants and contracts as well as any non-federal awards where the sponsor requires effort reporting and/or salary certification.
- Effort Reporting Procedures Manual -- coming soon
The procedures manual includes best practices for managing effort, complying with effort reporting policies, and for effective use of ecrt.
Designee Approval Form - A designee approval form is required when a PI delegates Quarterly Project Effort Certification responsibility to another individual with first-hand knowledge of the PI's sponsored award. Designee requests must be approved by the Tub Effort Coordinator.
- Request for Delegation of Authority for Quarterly Project Effort Certifications
- FAS Request for Delegation of Authority for Quarterly Project Effort Certifications
Proxy Approval Form - A proxy approval form is required if a faculty member is unable to sign his/her own Annual Faculty Effort Certification. Proxy requests must be approved by the school's Tub Effort Coordinator and the authorized approver in OSP.
- Object Codes
List of object codes that are included on Annual Faculty Effort Certifications and Quarterly Project Effort Certifications in ecrt
- ecrt Reports
Role-based matrix of reports available through ecrt (includes report results and limitations)
- Frequently Asked Questions updated 2/20/14
Addresses frequently asked questions relating to policy and ecrt procedures, including certification, review, training, and department setup/security
Tub Effort Coordinator Job Aid
Provides an overview of the Tub Effort Coordinator's roles and responsibilities including, monitoring effort reports, assigning roles, communicating changes, and overriding statements
- How to Post Federal Payroll Journals that Cross Fiscal Quarters
Guidelines on how to split biweekly payroll salary journals that cross certification periods in FY14
- How to Certify Annual and Quarterly Effort Certifications in ecrt
Faculty reference card with a brief overview and instructions on how to certify in ecrt.
- How to Review Payroll in ecrt as an Effort Coordinator
Guidelines for managing and reviewing effort in ecrt
- Effort Coordinator Flow Chart
Outlines the end-to-date process for annual and quarterly effort reporting and the responsibilities for each user role
- ecrt Status Icons
Description of the icons used in ecrt to indicate the status of effort reports
Additional resources are available through the ecrt Wiki Site.
Online ecrt simulations are available through Eureka (pin log-in required). The simulation modules include navigation, certification, administrative functions and reporting.
Access the slides used for the CWD training course through Eureka. The topics include an overview of the effort reporting lifecycle, ecrt roles and responsibilities, policy overview, troubleshooting and method for adjustments and tips and tricks.
Additional and updated training resources are available through the ecrt Wiki Site.
Office for Sponsored Programs: The Office for Sponsored programs is responsible for business aspects of the ecrt effort reporting system. For policy questions or help with functions issues, contact the ecrt help desk: firstname.lastname@example.org.
FSS: FSS manages security roles/rights for ecrt and provides user access to the system. Contact your authorized requestor (link coming soon) for technical issues and questions.
Tub-level Effort Coordinators: The tub-level effort coordinators (TEC) at each school oversee school-level compliance with University policy and local-level implementation of effort reporting:
HMS - Samantha Cohen and Nadège Volcy
HSDM - Andrea Morris
HSPH - Judy Lo
FAS - Nuala McGowan
SEAS - Carleen Brunelli
Wyss - Paula Cornelio
HKS - Alison Wellman Smith
GSE - Helen Page
HCHS - Mary Lancaster
HLS - Devin Advani and Geoffrey Swift
HGHI - Edna Liquidano
Other GSIA Schools - Meredith Sablosky
Contact email@example.com for additional questions and resources.