- The Award Lifecycle
- Resources & Information
- American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
- Annual Report
- Disclosure Statements and A-133 Audits
- Effort Reporting
- F&A and Fringe Benefit Rates
- Financial Reporting Application Portal (FRAP)
- GMAS Report and Invoice Types/Names
- New OMB Uniform Guidance
- OSP Glossary
- Recent Legislation
- ABOUT US
Harvard University has deployed the web-based system, ecrt, to serve as the new tool to facilitate the effort certification and reporting process. Harvard’s previous process – which consisted of paper forms – will no longer be used.
To access ecrt, click on the icon below:
The ecrt system is designed to help comply with the provisions of Harvard’s effort reporting policy, federal policy OMB Circular A-21 section J.10., NIH Salary Limitation on Grants, and other relevant agency policies that govern the need to provide certification of an individual's effort pursuant to his/her sponsored and non-sponsored programs. Please direct any questions to the ecrt help desk: email@example.com.
At Harvard, there are two types of effort certifications:
- Annual Faculty Effort Certifications (AFEC): Harvard PIs/faculty and other academic appointees who have effort on federal awards certify their salary (including academic-year, supplemental and summer) on an annual basis (July 1-June 30).
- Quarterly Project Effort Certifications (QPEC): Federal projects with non-faculty salary charges are certified by the project PI on a quarterly basis. The quarterly certifications cover July-September, October-December, January-March, and April-June.
- September 8th - 29th - Review period for FY14 annual effort statements & FY14 Q4 project statements
- September 30th - October 29th - Certification period for FY14 annual effort statements & FY14 Q4 project statements
- October 29th, 2014 - FY14 Annual & FY14 Q4 Quarterly Project Effort Certifications (4/1/14-6/30/14) due
In general, the certification window begins within a month after its corresponding period of performance. Each time a certification window begins, there are 30 calendar days to certify the effort.
Important ecrt Dates - Updated July 2014
Due dates, reporting periods, and certification periods for annual and quarterly effort certifications through FY15
Policy & Procedures
- Harvard University Effort Reporting Policy
Adherence to this policy is required for all effort related to federally sponsored grants and contracts as well as any non-federal awards where the sponsor requires effort reporting and/or salary certification.
- Effort Reporting Procedures Manual -- coming soon
The procedures manual includes best practices for managing effort, complying with effort reporting policies, and for effective use of ecrt.
Designee Approval Form - A designee approval form is required when a PI delegates Quarterly Project Effort Certification responsibility to another individual with first-hand knowledge of the PI's sponsored award. Designee requests must be approved by the Tub Effort Coordinator.
- Request for Delegation of Authority for Quarterly Project Effort Certifications
- FAS Request for Delegation of Authority for Quarterly Project Effort Certifications
Proxy Approval Form - A proxy approval form is required if a faculty member is unable to sign his/her own Annual Faculty Effort Certification. Proxy requests must be approved by the school's Tub Effort Coordinator and the authorized approver in OSP.
- Request for Proxy of Authority for Annual Effort Certifications updated May 2014
Tub Effort Coordinator Job Aid
Provides an overview of the Tub Effort Coordinator's roles and responsibilities including, monitoring effort reports, assigning roles, communicating changes, and overriding statement
Primary Effort Coordinator Job Aid
Provides an overview of the Primary/Secondary Effort Coordinator's roles and responsibilities including reporting and managing grant manager assignments
- FY15 Guidance for Creating and Posting Payroll Journals updated September 2014
- FY14 Guidance for Creating and Posting Payroll Journals updated April 2014
Guidelines on journal entry proration for pay periods that cross certification periods and posting the "Period of Work Performed" for FY14 and FY15
- Frequently Asked Questions
Addresses frequently asked questions relating to policy and ecrt procedures, including certification, review, training, and department setup/security
- ecrt Reporting Matrix
Role-based matrix of reports available through ecrt (includes report results and limitations)
- ecrt Status Icons
Description of the icons used in ecrt to indicate the status of effort reports
- Effort Certication Status Change Workflow
This diagram shows the different stages of an effort certification (pending, open for certification & historical) and the work flow process from when payroll transactions load into ecrt to final certification
- How to Certify Annual and Quarterly Effort Certifications in ecrt
Faculty reference card with a brief overview and instructions on how to certify in ecrt
- Effort Coordinators Responsibilities Flow Chart
This diagram shows the responsibilities of ecrt, the Tub Effort Coordinator, the Department Primary Effort Coordinator, the Grant Manager, and the Principal Investigator for each stage of the effort certification process (quarterly and annual)
- Object Codes
List of object codes that are included on Annual Faculty Effort Certifications and Quarterly Project Effort Certifications in ecrt
Additional resources are available through the ecrt Wiki Site.
Online ecrt simulations are available through Eureka (pin log-in required). The simulation modules include navigation, certification, administrative functions and reporting.
Access the slides used for the CWD training course through Eureka. The topics include an overview of the effort reporting lifecycle, ecrt roles and responsibilities, policy overview, troubleshooting and method for adjustments and tips and tricks.
Additional and updated training resources are available through the ecrt Wiki Site.
Office for Sponsored Programs: The Office for Sponsored programs is responsible for business aspects of the ecrt effort reporting system. For policy questions or help with functions issues, contact the ecrt help desk: firstname.lastname@example.org.
FSS: FSS manages security roles/rights for ecrt and provides user access to the system.
Tub-level Effort Coordinators: The tub-level effort coordinators (TEC) at each school oversee school-level compliance with University policy and local-level implementation of effort reporting:
HMS - Samantha Cohen and Nadège Volcy
HSDM - Andrea Morris
HSPH - Judy Lo
FAS - Nuala McGowan & Allison Wellman-Smith
SEAS - Carleen Brunelli
Wyss - Paula Cornelio
HKS - Melissa Siegel
GSE - Helen Page
HCHS - Mary Lancaster
HLS - Devin Advani and Geoffrey Swift
HGHI - Edna Liquidano
Other GSIA Schools - Meredith Sablosky
Contact email@example.com for additional questions and resources.